If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.

Your Ad Here

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Area woman annoyed by fiancé's use of "excuse me"

Technorati Tags: , ,

Contributed by Ian R. F. Crowlington III

Alfred — Jillian Hanson of Alfred, Maine, formerly of Millinocket was irritated earlier this morning by behavior recently adopted by her fiancé, Ian Crowley. "He started doing it just to annoy me", claimed Hanson when reached by myMaineToday.com journalists.

The behavior causing this irritation? "Every time he passes gas he says 'excuse me'", stated Hanson. "He passes a lot of gas, but he never used to say it. He only started saying it because it gets on my nerves."

Though a simple "excuse me" after gas is passed may sound harmless enough, relationship expert Matthew Poirier warns that such constant politeness can "create tension between two people about to be married, especially if the relationship has been ongoing for multiple years."

"We've been together for over 2 years", said Hanson. "We've been talking about marriage for almost that long. We're close enough to each other that we don't need to worry about saying excuse me when we're gassy... I certainly don't bother."

When confronted with Hanson's allegations via telephone, fiancé Ian Crowley seemed genuinely confused. "What? Why would she be mad that I say excuse me when I fart? I'd think she'd prefer me to be polite than to just lift a leg and not say a word. The idea that I only say it to annoy her is positively ridiculous."

Crowley defended his use of the unnecessary politeness, claiming that he lives with his brother's young children, and wants to set a positive example. "With my niece and nephew around, I feel it's important to set a good example for them to follow. They both seem to think their Uncle Ian is a cool guy, and I don't want them to think it's cool to be rude."

Hanson, however, thinks his explanation is nothing but a transparent cover story. She claims that Crowley has lived with the children for over a year, but only recently adopted the behavior. "He only started about a month ago, and now that he knows it annoys me, he makes sure he does it every single time. I don't know if I can go through with the marriage if this doesn't end soon!"

Liam, 6, and Moira, 4, were unable to be reached for comment.

 

This was found at MaineToday.com

No comments: